Click Here!
         
  Magic Online Trading League Bulletin Board
  Magic Discussion
  Post for Magic Stuff #92 Ed Holman & Dean Kao have forsaken us edition (Page 2)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | rules | memberlist | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4 
  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Post for Magic Stuff #92 Ed Holman & Dean Kao have forsaken us edition
mm1983
Member
posted August 23, 2017 06:10 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
North Star isn't that good at all but Lifeblood at best is a sideboard card in legacy against red. Old cards don't always have to be great to hold value. It could just simply be the nostalgic of owning an old card that keeps value high.
 
chaos021
Member
posted August 23, 2017 02:36 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
North Star isn't that good at all but Lifeblood at best is a sideboard card in legacy against red. Old cards don't always have to be great to hold value. It could just simply be the nostalgic of owning an old card that keeps value high.

Even at 4 CMC?

 
LandDestroyer
Member
posted August 23, 2017 03:37 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's probably past time for me to sell out but I should eventually accelerate that. Maybe ive got cards that've spiked that i dont know about. what i do know is mma2, mma3, ema, conspiracy, etc have tanked the value of a lot of my cards to way under what i paid for them.

i've been selling some stuff in waves. wave 1 has been alpha/beta stuff and the next wave was supposed to be other stuff that was 'extra'...and after that depended on if i was going to keep playing every format or not. definitely leaning toward no now so i'll probably be like phase 1 sell off my vintage stuff like:

Basically 4 complete sets of unlimited except only 1 copy of the restricted cards
4 Shops
4 Bazaar
4 Drains
1 Loa
1-2 nether void
1 grim tutor
Etc

then my legacy stuff
4 complete sets of revised
1 tabernacle
1 imperial recruiter foil
5 karakas

then i've got pretty much all non-standard cards that are modern legacl except baubles, goryo's veagence

and then tons of extras. like for goyfs i think i still own 4 m13, 3 m15, 4 m15 foils, etc since i like to put together sets....ive got 4 complete sets of ktk but also still have my 4x onslaught fetches. 4 complete sets of RTR but still have my 4x og shocks, etc

that is going to take so long to get fair value

 
aethertech
Member
posted August 23, 2017 03:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for aethertech Click Here to Email aethertech Send a private message to aethertech Click to send aethertech an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View aethertech's Have/Want ListView aethertech's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:
It's probably past time for me to sell out but I should eventually accelerate that. Maybe ive got cards that've spiked that i dont know about. what i do know is mma2, mma3, ema, conspiracy, etc have tanked the value of a lot of my cards to way under what i paid for them.

i've been selling some stuff in waves. wave 1 has been alpha/beta stuff and the next wave was supposed to be other stuff that was 'extra'...and after that depended on if i was going to keep playing every format or not. definitely leaning toward no now so i'll probably be like phase 1 sell off my vintage stuff like:

Basically 4 complete sets of unlimited except only 1 copy of the restricted cards
4 Shops
4 Bazaar
4 Drains
1 Loa
1-2 nether void
1 grim tutor
Etc

then my legacy stuff
4 complete sets of revised
1 tabernacle
1 imperial recruiter foil
5 karakas

then i've got pretty much all non-standard cards that are modern legacl except baubles, goryo's veagence

and then tons of extras. like for goyfs i think i still own 4 m13, 3 m15, 4 m15 foils, etc since i like to put together sets....ive got 4 complete sets of ktk but also still have my 4x onslaught fetches. 4 complete sets of RTR but still have my 4x og shocks, etc

that is going to take so long to get fair value


You could just loan some of that stuff to me, and then at a later date in time, I could send it back after its appreciated in value considerably.

 
LandDestroyer
Member
posted August 24, 2017 06:22 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aethertech:
You could just loan some of that stuff to me, and then at a later date in time, I could send it back after its appreciated in value considerably.

heh lending out is part of the reason i used to have so much stuff but now that i want to sell it and condition matters again ive stopped those practices.

 
aethertech
Member
posted August 24, 2017 07:25 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for aethertech Click Here to Email aethertech Send a private message to aethertech Click to send aethertech an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View aethertech's Have/Want ListView aethertech's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:
heh lending out is part of the reason i used to have so much stuff but now that i want to sell it and condition matters again ive stopped those practices.

Just one set of duals?

Maybe just a few?

Just a Bazaar or two?

 
LandDestroyer
Member
posted August 25, 2017 06:18 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aethertech:
Just one set of duals?

Maybe just a few?

Just a Bazaar or two?


Heh, I can sell you some duals

 
iccarus
Member
posted September 09, 2017 09:11 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for iccarus Click Here to Email iccarus Send a private message to iccarus Click to send iccarus an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
It's happening!

__________________
Wisconsin - smells like dairy air!

I collect Granite Gargoyles. Send them my way.

 
aethertech
Member
posted September 10, 2017 04:58 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for aethertech Click Here to Email aethertech Send a private message to aethertech Click to send aethertech an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View aethertech's Have/Want ListView aethertech's Have/Want List
TIL, Steamflogger boss is a ~$30 foil.
 
LandDestroyer
Member
posted September 11, 2017 03:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
geez. mr volrath got banned after being a 17 year member
http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005600.html

Dave and others report stupid stuff on the rules thread.

Barely any posts anyway. Think we're about done here. Site had a good run. Good luck to all you out there. Selling out is going to take so much effort....

 
chaos021
Member
posted September 12, 2017 01:24 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:
geez. mr volrath got banned after being a 17 year member
http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005600.html

Dave and others report stupid stuff on the rules thread.

Barely any posts anyway. Think we're about done here. Site had a good run. Good luck to all you out there. Selling out is going to take so much effort....


Well you could post other interesting things someone may care about instead of the usual.

 
mm1983
Member
posted September 12, 2017 01:43 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Has the art of online trading pretty well disappeared at this point? I feel like people anymore can just readily buy almost anything they need rather than just trade for it. Just in the last year I've gone from doing 10-15 trades in a month down to 5 or less. I'd probably point it at 3 different things, increased shipping costs makes trading harder to do especially on the international end, lack of effort to trade maybe from myself and others who are long established here, or everybody is just looking for all of the same things therefore making it impossible to trade.

 
chaos021
Member
posted September 12, 2017 02:05 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by mm1983:
Has the art of online trading pretty well disappeared at this point? I feel like people anymore can just readily buy almost anything they need rather than just trade for it. Just in the last year I've gone from doing 10-15 trades in a month down to 5 or less. I'd probably point it at 3 different things, increased shipping costs makes trading harder to do especially on the international end, lack of effort to trade maybe from myself and others who are long established here, or everybody is just looking for all of the same things therefore making it impossible to trade.


I think the people are more apt to sell and buy than trade. That combined with everyone looking for very specific things makes it harder to trade. I think there are way fewer casual magic players that trade any more.

 
aethertech
Member
posted September 12, 2017 07:09 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for aethertech Click Here to Email aethertech Send a private message to aethertech Click to send aethertech an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View aethertech's Have/Want ListView aethertech's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by chaos021:
I think the people are more apt to sell and buy than trade. That combined with everyone looking for very specific things makes it harder to trade. I think there are way fewer casual magic players that trade any more.


"very few casual magic players"

got that right.


 
paragondave
Member
posted September 14, 2017 10:57 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by chaos021:
Well you could post other interesting things someone may care about instead of the usual.

He'd have to BE interesting first.

 
LandDestroyer
Member
posted September 17, 2017 07:07 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for LandDestroyer Click Here to Email LandDestroyer Send a private message to LandDestroyer Click to send LandDestroyer an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paragondave:
He'd have to BE interesting first.

ooooh little boy you got me there

 
Tha Gunslinga
Moderator
posted September 17, 2017 10:42 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Tha Gunslinga Click Here to Email Tha Gunslinga Send a private message to Tha Gunslinga Click to send Tha Gunslinga an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
Be nice, folks.
paragondave
Member
posted September 17, 2017 12:28 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for paragondave Click Here to Email paragondave Send a private message to paragondave Click to send paragondave an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View paragondave's Have/Want ListView paragondave's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by LandDestroyer:
ooooh little boy you got me there

I don't get it...

 
chaos021
Member
posted September 17, 2017 05:26 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Tha Gunslinga:
Be nice, folks.

He lives!

 
Vegas10
Member
posted September 18, 2017 04:45 AM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
So is Iconic Masters the worst name for one of these sets thus far, I mean very few of the cards I would consider Iconic, plus the name felt cheesy from the get go.
 
chaos021
Member
posted September 18, 2017 02:38 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Vegas10:
So is Iconic Masters the worst name for one of these sets thus far, I mean very few of the cards I would consider Iconic, plus the name felt cheesy from the get go.

It's a lackluster name if you played prior to Modern existing. If you didn't, then it's not the worst name.

 
Vegas10
Member
posted September 18, 2017 05:39 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chaos021:
It's a lackluster name if you played prior to Modern existing. If you didn't, then it's not the worst name.

Yeah I'm an old geezer when it comes to MTG my dad bought starters of alpha when the game debuted at Gen Con. This feels more like a Modern Masters set with some legacy/vintage stuff sprinkled in.

 
chaos021
Member
posted September 18, 2017 09:20 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for chaos021 Send a private message to chaos021 Click to send chaos021 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View chaos021's Have/Want ListView chaos021's Have/Want List
quote:
Originally posted by Vegas10:
Yeah I'm an old geezer when it comes to MTG my dad bought starters of alpha when the game debuted at Gen Con. This feels more like a Modern Masters set with some legacy/vintage stuff sprinkled in.

Well Ernham Djinn isn't really exciting these days either. Hell, even some of the spells of days of old kinda suck now.

 
Vegas10
Member
posted September 19, 2017 12:19 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas10 Click Here to Email Vegas10 Send a private message to Vegas10 Click to send Vegas10 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chaos021:
Well Ernham Djinn isn't really exciting these days either. Hell, even some of the spells of days of old kinda suck now.

True to an extent, I mean cards like Workshop, Moxes, Lotus etc.. would never see the light of day nowadays. An obi are on the reserved list but there are plenty of cards they could have put in to make the set feel more Iconic.

 
mm1983
Member
posted September 19, 2017 12:49 PM   Click Here to See the Profile for mm1983 Click Here to Email mm1983 Send a private message to mm1983 Click to send mm1983 an Instant Message Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote View mm1983's Have/Want ListView mm1983's Have/Want List
Iconic really should just be limited to anything that was printed before Mirrodin block but then making it a fun set for limited play would be very hard to do. Almost anything of decent value is on the reserved list and so many other cards were underpowered back then when compared to today's printings of cards. Aside from Swords to Plowshares white never had any decent single target removal for many years until Wing Shards which makes perfect sense of why they put a card like that into Iconic Masters. Tinder Wall and Elvish Spirit Guide are both great legacy cards not on the reserved list are more Iconic than many cards that were chosen for Iconic Masters. Balduvian Horde was another Iconic card in it's time. It was really the first time you had a 5/5 for 4 mana after Juzam Djinn. During that time many people wanted to trade their dual lands to get a set of Balduvian Horde.



[Edited 1 times, lastly by mm1983 on September 19, 2017]

 

This topic is 4 pages long:   1  2  3  4 

All times are PDT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | MOTL Home Page | Privacy Statement & TOS

© 1996-2013 Magic Online Trading League

Powered by Infopop © 2000
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e